Daily Current Affairs (English) - 04.07.2018
Submitted by root on Wed, 07/04/2018 - 17:11
Japanese mission reached asteroid Ryugu
- A Japanese probe has reached an asteroid 300 million km away to collect information about the birth of the solar system and the origin of life after a more than three-year voyage through deep space.
- The Hayabusa2 probe successfully settled into an observation position 20 km above the Ryugu asteroid, officials from the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA).
The committee on NPAs submits its report
- The Sunil Mehta committee formed to tackle Non-Performing Assets (NPAs) & creating credit capacity submitted its report.
- The Sunil Mehta panel presented project ‘Sashakt’ and has recommended a five-pronged strategy.
- The plan will result in creating additional jobs by reviving businesses and will bring in credible long term external capital to limit the burden on the domestic banking sector.
Longest total lunar eclipse of century
- The moon will enter the shadow of the earth for about 4 hours, and the event will be seen clearly across at least 3 continents.
- According to the Dubai Astronomy Group, the eclipse will last for about 1 hour and 43 minutes and will also feature a “blood moon”.
- “Blood moon” is a non-scientific term used to refer to the red tinge on a fully eclipsed moon.
Karnataka to release water
- The Cauvery Water Management Authority (CWMA), directed Karnataka to release water to Tamil Nadu and other States.
- The CWMA, which is yet to appoint full-time members, is scheduled to meet every 10 days during the monsoon months.
- The CWMA consists of a Chairman, a senior and eminent engineer, 2 whole-time members, 6 part-time members and a Secretary.
2021 census data to be stored electronically
- The data collected in the 2021 Census will be stored electronically, the first time since the first decennial exercise in 1951 after independence.
- The schedules and other connected papers shall be disposed of totally or in part by the Director of Census Operations, after creating an electronic record of such documents.
- The spokesperson said enumerators would start “house listing” in 2020.
EPwD to Organize workshop for PwDs”
- Dept. of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) is organizing a “National Workshop on Skill Development for Persons with Disabilities”.
- The workshop is being organized with a view to provide a platform to all stakeholders ranging from training partners to the policy makers as well as employers.
- The Workshop will dwell upon all the issues involved in the skill development for PwDs.
India First Ties Up With Oxigen
- IndiaFirst Life Insurance Company Limited, a joint venture between Bank of Baroda, Andhra Bank and Legal and General (UK), has announced its tie-up with Oxigen Services India Pvt. Ltd.
- It will establish the distribution of its insurance products at Oxigen retail outlets.
- Oxigen is one of the leading providers of money transfers and prepaid recharges as low as Rs. 10.
NASA to use submarines for hunting meteorite
- Scientists from several organisations in the US, including NASA, are planning to use remote-operated submarines to hunt for the remains of an outer space object.
- The Nautilus research ship of the non-profit group Ocean Exploration Trust (OET) will aid in the scavenger hunt, Digitaltrends.
- The object splashed down into the Pacific Ocean on March 7.
1st image of baby planet being formed
- Astronomers say they’ve captured the first confirmed image of a planet forming in the dust swirling around a young star.
- Scientists said the planet appears as a bright spot in the snapshot taken using the European Southern Observatory’s Very Large Telescope in Chile.
- It is said to have a cloudy atmosphere and a surface temperature of 1,000 degrees Celsius (1,832 degrees Fahrenheit).
Bharti Infratel to merge
- The Bharti Infratel has got the approval of competition watchdog Competition Commission of India for merging its operations with Indus Towers.
- The proposed merger values Indus Towers at an enterprise valuation of ₹ 71,500 crore & will create one of the largest mobile tower entities worldwide with 1.63 lakh towers in all 22 telecom circles.
- The combined company will own 100% of Indus Towers.
First woman DGP assumes office
- The first woman Directorate General of Police of Puducherry, S. Sundari Nanda assumed office on Monday.
- She is replaced by outgoing DGP S.K Gautam, who is transferred to New Delhi.
- Ms.Nanda has earlier served as the Special Commissioner of Police (Headquarters), Delhi Police.
Sri Lanka to shift its naval base
- Sri Lanka is shifting one of its naval base to a port controlled and built by China.
- This move will strengthen the security at a harbour that China might use for military purposes.
- The base is currently in the Galle district and will be moved 125 km east along the southern coast of Sri Lanka to Hambantota.
Israel enacted a new law
- Israel government enacted a new law which will financially penalize the Palestinian Authority for paying stipends to the Palestinians killed or jailed by Israel.
- Out of 120 seats in the Parliament, 87-15 voted in favor of this legislation.
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had repeatedly demanded to stop the Palestinians from paying stipends to the prisoners and their families.
Do not appoint police officer as acting DGP
- The Supreme Court restricted the choice of State governments to appoint their Directors General of Police.
- Instead, State governments should henceforth send their proposals for DGPs to the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) three months before the incumbent is due to retire.
- The UPSC will prepare a panel of officers fit to be DGP in the State concerned and send them back.
TPREL commissions 100 Mw solar project
- TPREL, an arm of Mumbai-based private power producer Tata Power announced it has commissioned a 100 Megawatt solar power project at Anthapuramu Solar Park in Andhra Pradesh.
- With this, the overall operating renewable energy capacity of the company stands at 2,215 Mw in India.
- The project is under the second phase of Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission through Viability Gap Funding.
New World heritage site: Chiribiquete Park
- Being the ninth site in Colombia to be given the status of world heritage site, Chiribiquete park is the country’s largest park and has one of the highest rates of plant diversity in the northern Amazon.
- It is located on one of the world’s oldest rock formations, the Guiana Shield.
- It was first declared a national park in 1989.
- It also bears traces of ancient human life.
Index of Eight Core Industries
- The Eight Core Industries comprise 40.27 per cent of the weight of items included in the Index of Industrial Production (IIP).
- The combined Index of Eight Core Industries stands at 131.4 in May, 2018, which was 3.6 per cent higher as compared to the index of May 2017.
- Core industry can be defined as the main industry of the economy.
Rajasthan approves 1% reservation for Gujjars
- The Rajasthan government announced 1% reservations for five communities– Gujjar, Banjara, Gadia-Lohar, Raika, and Gadariya– under the Most Backward Classes (MBC) category.
- This comes after Gujjar leaders threatened to launch protests during PM Narendra Modi’s upcoming Jaipur visit.
- The Gujjars were seeking 5% reservation within OBC quota to not violate the 50% Supreme Court-mandated cap.
Andres Manuel elected as Mexico’s President
- Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador has been elected as Mexico’s President with over 53% of the vote, according to the country’s electoral commission.
- Obrador, who has won the presidency at the third attempt, promised to tackle violence and wipe out corruption.
- The 64-year-old former Mexico City mayor will formally take power on December 1.
NRL to introduce online legal compliance
- Numaligarh Refinery Ltd (NRL) in Assam has become the first oil PSU to adopt an online legal compliance system by introducing ‘Legatrix’.
- The cloud-based compliance management system was inaugurated by Managing Director S K Barua.
- This initiative will boost up NRL’s contribution towards the Digital India Mission and induce a greater transparency in its operations.
STUDY MATERIAL & TEST SERIES FOR SSC CGL 2018
PLEASE NOTE: Check Your Email After Subscribing and Click on Activation Link to Confirm Subscription.