Daily Current Affairs (English) - 06.06.2018
Submitted by root on Wed, 06/06/2018 - 13:48
5 June 2018: World Environment Day
- World Environment Day is the UN’s most important day for encouraging worldwide awareness and action for the protection of our environment.
- Since it began in 1974, it has grown to become a global platform for public outreach that is widely celebrated in over 100 countries. The focus on the host country helps to highlight the environmental challenges it faces and supports the effort to address them.
- This year’s host is India with the theme for 2018 is beating
plastic pollution.World Environment Day is the UN’s most important
day for encouraging worldwide awareness and action for the
protection of our environment.
World Environment Day is the “people’s day” for doing something to take care of the Earth.
- The theme for the World Environment Day 2018 is “Beat Plastic Pollution”.
Sunil Chhetri’s brace earns India 3-0 victory over Kenya
- In his 100th International match, skipper Sunil Chhetri scored a brace to lead India to a 3-0 win over Kenya in the second match of the Hero Intercontinental Cup, here on 4th June.
- Chhetri’s penalty strike in the 68th minute added extra time, along with Jeje Lalpekhlua’s 71st-minute strike enabled India to outmaneuver Kenya.
Ministries of MSME and Ayush Sign MoU
- Ministry of MSME and Ministry of AYUSH signed a MoU.
- The MoU will create synergies through the institutions and schemes of both ministries for the development of AYUSH enterprises in the country.
- The objective of this partnership is to position India as a world leader in “Holistic Healthcare”.
Heli-taxis between Shimla-Chandigarh
- Himachal Pradesh CM Jairam Thakur flagged off a helicopter taxi service that will reduce the travel time between Shimla and Chandigarh to 20 minutes.
- The service, operated by Pawan Hans, can accommodate 19 persons and will charge ₹2,999 per person.
- The government is also planning to start heli-taxi service between Chandigarh and Manali and sortie service from Manali to the Rohtang Pass.
Forest cover stood at 21.34 percent in 2015
- India’s forest cover stood at 21.34% in 2015, an increase of 1.29 percent from 2009, according to a government report on the environment.
- The ‘Status of Environment Report, India 2015’, was released by Environment Minister Harsh Vardhan.
- Mizoram with 89% has the highest forest cover among the states and Union territories in the country.
- Assam’s forest cover at 35% was the lowest.
KKA being implemented in 25 villages
- The Ministry of Agriculture and farmers’ welfare has launched the Krishi Kalyan Abhiyaan (KKA) from 1st June 2018 till 31st July 2018.
- The Abhiyan will aid, assist and advice farmers on how to improve their farming techniques and raise their incomes.
- The Krishi Kalyan Abhiyaan will be undertaken in 25 Villages with more than 1000 population each in Aspirational Districts.
RBI’s Monetary Policy Committee began meeting
- RBI’s Monetary Policy Committee headed by RBI Governor Urjit Patel began its 3-day meeting in Mumbai on June 4.
- Due to certain administrative exigencies, the six-member committee is meeting for three days instead of the usual two days.
- It was in January 2014 that the RBI had last raised the short-term lending rate to 8% since then it has either reduced it or maintained status quo.
Mahesh Kumar appointed as Dy Governor of RBI
- Mahesh Kumar Jain has been appointed as Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India for a term of three years.
- Presently, he is the Managing Director and CEO of IDBI Bank.
- Before his role in IDBI, Jain was the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Indian Bank.
- As per the RBI Act, the central bank should have four deputy governors.
MP announces outstanding power bill waiver scheme
- The Madhya Pradesh government has announced an outstanding power bill waiver scheme for laborers and poor families.
- The state cabinet headed by Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan approved the Bijli Bill Mafi Yojana 2018 (Power Bill Waiver Scheme) which is expected to benefit about 77 lakh people of the state.
- The state cabinet also approved Mukhyamantri Jan Kalyan (Sambal) Yojana 2018 (a scheme to provide subsidized power) for registered laborers of the unorganized sector and Below Poverty Line (BPL) families would be provided electricity at a cost of Rs 200 per month.
Nepal proposes dates for BIMSTEC Summit
- Nepal has come up with two dates for the fourth summit of the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation.
- It said August 30 and 31 or September 6 and 7 have been proposed for the Kathmandu summit, Kathmandu Post reported.
- The newly appointed BIMSTEC General Secretary Shahidul Islam recently visited Nepal.
- BIMSTEC is an international organization of 7 nations of South Asia and South East Asia including Nepal, India, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Myanmar, Sri Lanka and Thailand. It was founded in 1997 and has its permanent secretariat in Dhaka.
SEBI puts in place guidelines for preferential issue by InvITs
- Markets regulator SEBI put in place a detailed framework for listed Infrastructure Investment Trusts (InvITs) to make a preferential issue of units to institutional investors.
- SEBI said preferential issues need to be completed within 12 months from the date of passing of the resolution by InvIT’s unitholders.
- The units in a preferential issue would be offered and allotted to a minimum of two investors and a maximum of 1,000 investors in a financial year.
- According to Sebi, the gap between the preferential issue of units by InvITs should be six months, and allotment needs to be completed within 12 days.
Saudi Arabia bans produce from Kerala
- Saudi Arabia has banned frozen and processed fruit and vegetable imports from Kerala amid concerns over the deadly Nipah virus outbreak.
- On May 29, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) banned imports from Kerala.
- The Nipah virus itself can cause encephalitis – a dangerous swelling of the brain – and common symptoms vary from none to elevated fevers, cough, headache, shortness of breath and confusion, the Gulf News reported on 5th June.
India among top 5 in e-waste generation
- India is among the top five e-waste generating countries in the world besides China, the US, Japan and Germany, according to a report.
- Among states, Maharashtra contributes the largest e-waste of 19.8% but recycles only about 47,810 tonne per annum (TPA), the report released by Assocham and NEC.
- Tamil Nadu with e-waste contribution of 13% recycled about 52,427 TPA.
Ban proposed on obscene depiction of women
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development has proposed to ban obscene depiction of women on the Internet and through SMS/MMS by amending the Indecent Representation of Women Act, 1986.
- The Ministry has also suggested that stricter punishments be awarded for such crimes.
- It has also proposed setting up a Central authority under the National Commission of Women.
India, US, Japan to begin naval war game
- India and its two strategic partners — the US and Japan — will hold the Malabar naval exercise from next week off the coast of Guam in the Philippine Sea.
- It will aim to deepen cooperation in the Indo-Pacific region where China has been expanding its military footprint.
- Malabar is a trilateral naval exercise involving the United States, Japan and India as permanent partners.
STUDY MATERIAL & TEST SERIES FOR SSC CGL 2018
PLEASE NOTE: Check Your Email After Subscribing and Click on Activation Link to Confirm Subscription.