Daily Current Affairs (English) - 06.07.2018
Submitted by root on Fri, 07/06/2018 - 13:52
CABINET APPROVES UMBRELLA SCHEMES FOR RELIEF AND REHABILITATION OF MIGRANTS AND REPATRIATES
The cabinet on Wednesday approved till 2020 eight schemes of home ministry for relief and rehabilitation of migrants under the umbrella scheme “Relief and Rehabilitation of Migrants and Repatriates”, including displaced families from Pakistan-administered Kashmir, Sri Lankan refugees, Bru families lodged in relief camps in Tripura, 1984 anti-Sikh riot victims, civilian victims of terrorist, communal and Maoist violence.
The schemes are as under:
- Central Assistance for one-time settlement of displaced families from Pak Occupied Jammu and Kashmir (PoJK) and Chhamb settled in the State of Jammu & Kashmir.
- Rehabilitation Package and up-gradation of infrastructure of the Bangladeshi Enclaves and Cooch Behar District after transfer of enclaves between India and Bangladesh under Land Boundary Agreement.
- Relief assistance to Sri Lankan refugees staying in camps in Tamil Nadu and Odisha.
- Grant-in-Aid to Central Tibetan Relief Committee (CTRC) for five years for administrative and social welfare expenses of Tibetan settlements.
- Grant-in-Aid to Government of Tripura for maintenance of Brus lodged in relief camps of Tripura.
- Rehabilitation of Bru/Reang families from Tripura to Mizoram.
- Grant of enhanced relief of Rs. 5.00 lakh per deceased person, who died during 1984 Anti-Sikh Riots.
- Central Scheme for Assistance to Civilian Victims/Family of Victims of Terrorist/Communal/LWE Violence and Cross Border Firing and Mine/IED blasts on Indian Territory'.
CABINET APPROVES TRIPURA AS MAHARAJA BIR BIKRAM MANIKYA KISHORE AIRPORT
The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, today gave its approval to rename the Agartala Airport in Tripura as ‘Maharaja Bir Bikram Manikya Kishore Airport, Agartala. The decision comes in the wake of the long pending demand of people of Tripura as well as the Tripura Government for paying tribute to Maharaja Bir Bikram Manikya Kishore.
Who is Maharaja Bir Bikram Manikya Kishore?
- Maharaja Bir Bikram Manikya Kishore, who ascended the throne of the erstwhile Tripura Princely State in 1923, was an enlightened and benevolent ruler.
- Agartala Airport was constructed in 1942 on the land donated by Maharaja Bir Bikram Manikya Kishore.
- As a visionary ruler, who had travelled extensively across the globe, he took several steps for the all-round development of Tripura.
- Due to his initiative, an aerodrome at Agartalawas constructed that has evolved as the second busiest airport in the North East and provides crucial air connectivity to Tripura.
- Hence, it is apt to rename the Agartala Airport after his name, which will be a befitting tribute to Maharaja Bir Bikram Manikya Kishore.
INDIA TO HOST INTERNATIONAL UNION OF FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY 2018
The International Union of Food Science and Technology (IUFoST), the global voice of food science and technology in association with Indian National Science Academy (INSA) as adhering body, announced the 19th edition of its prestigious global event to be held in Navi Mumbai, India from October 23-27, 2018. The five-day event will bring together researchers, academicians, professionals, policy makers and industry leaders from across the globe to showcase innovation, exchange breakthrough ideas and drive policy issues.
The focal theme for this edition of the prestigious congress is 25 Billion Meals a Day by 2025 with Healthy, Nutritious, Safe and Diverse Foods. IUFoST 2018 will provide insight on key concepts on recent advances in food sciences, food processing and agriculture technologies.
AARON FINCH POSTS 172 RUNS FOR THE HIGHEST T20I SCORE
Aaron Finch bettered his highest individual T20I score against Zimbabwe in the third T20 of the tri-series in Harare. When Finch departed, rather bizarrely by being hit wicket, he had become the highest run scorer in T20I. His knock of 172 runs from 76 balls with 16 fours and 10 sixes was laden with boundaries and records on the way. Finch also became the highest scoring captain in the format. However, Finch missed out by 4 runs in becoming the highest run scorer in the shortest format. Currently, Chris Gayle holds the record for the highest score in T20s with the West Indian scoring 175 runs in the 2013 Indian Premier League.
CENTURY'S LONGEST TOTAL LUNAR ECLIPSE TO BE SEEN ON 27TH JULY
The longest total lunar eclipse of the 21st century would occur on July 27, with the celestial spectacle visible in its entirety from all parts of India. The eclipse will last for 1 hour and 43 minutes, giving viewers a wonderful opportunity to experience the happening, according to Debiprosad Duari, Director, Research & Academic, MP Birla Planetarium, Kolkata. It will be preceded and followed by partial eclipses lasting more than one hour.
The eclipse will be visible in parts of South America, much of Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia. For viewers in India, the eclipse, both partial and the total, will be visible in its entirety from all parts of the country. The partial eclipse of the moon will start around 11.54 pm Indian Standard Time, with the total eclipse beginning at 1 am on July 28.the eclipse will last for about one hour and 43 minutes, the longest in the century, and will also feature a "blood moon". "Blood moon" is a non-scientific term used to refer to the red tinge on a fully eclipsed moon.
What happens to the blood moon?
- During lunar eclipse, the moon appears red, which is called blood moon or the blood moon.
- In fact, when the moon remains in the shadow of the earth during the full moon's lunar eclipse, its aura becomes redundant, which is called the 'Ratakim Chandra' or 'Lal Chand'.
- This happens when the moon is completely covered in the aura of the earth. In this case, the 'red' ray of the sun reaches the moon by 'scatter'.
Do You Know?
- A lunar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes directly behind Earth and into its shadow. This can occur only when the Sun, Earth, and the Moon are aligned exactly or very closely so, with the planet in between.
- Hence, a lunar eclipse can occur only on the night of a full moon.
- The type and length of an eclipse depend on the Moon's proximity to either node of its orbit.
- During a total lunar eclipse, Earth completely blocks direct sunlight from reaching the Moon.
- The only light reflected from the lunar surface has been refracted by Earth's atmosphere.
V. A. Mohata
Former Chief Justice of the Odisha High Court V. A. Mohata passed in Nagpur. Mohata served as Chief Justice of the Odisha High Court from 28th September 1994 to 25th April 1995. He also recommended the name of current Chief Justice of India, Dipak Mishra as a judge.
STUDY MATERIAL & TEST SERIES FOR SSC CGL 2018
PLEASE NOTE: Check Your Email After Subscribing and Click on Activation Link to Confirm Subscription.