National Women Entrepreneurship Council
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development is considering doing the National Women Entrepreneurship Council. National Women Entrepreneurship Council will promote entrepreneurship as it will be the umbrella organization for socio-economic gender parity, financial inclusion and economic empowerment of women in India.
- According to Mastercard Index of Women Entrepreneurs, India scored a total of 41.7 points, ranking 49 among 54 economies globally with comparatively low in Women Business Ownership percentages. India presents low opportunities for women to assume leadership roles, participation in the workforce or engagement in entrepreneurial activities.
- Lack of education, technological know-how and cultural bias coupled with strong business and government regulations are some key impediments that happen in women's ability to rise to positions of leadership and take advantage of entrepreneurial opportunities in India.
- Women entrepreneurs have been carving out for a niche for them in the whole world, including India specially in niche and unconventional businesses. However, there is significant potential for harness the untapped potential of women's entrepreneurship in India.
- Economically empowered women are major catalysts for development. There is greater recognition of the positive relationship between women and improved social results. Women often tend to reinvest their income in their children's education, health and nutrition. This has a positive impact on the economic growth.
Comprehensive Health Index report
- NITI has released a comprehensive Health Index report. The title of this report is "Healthy States, Progressive India". The report has been developed by NITI, with technical assistance from the World Bank, and in consultation with the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- The report ranks states and Union territories innovatively on their year-on-year incremental change in health outcomes, as well as, their overall performance with respect to each other It is the first attempt to establish a annual systematic tool for measurement and understanding the heterogeneity and complexity of the nation's performance in Health.
- States and UTs have been ranked in three categories, Larger States, Smaller States, and Union Territories (UTs), to ensure comparisons between similar entities. The Health Index is a weighted composite index, which for the big states, is based on indicators in three domains: (a) Health Outcomes (70%); (b) Governance and Information (12%); and (c) Key Inputs and Processes (18%), with each domain assigned a weight based on its importance.
- Health Index has developed as a tool to leverage co-operative and competitive federalism to accelerate the pace of achieving health outcomes. It would also serve as an instrument for "nudging" States and Union Territories (UTs) and the Central Ministries to a much greater focus on output and outcome based measurement of annual performance than is currently the practice.
- With the annual publication of the Index and its availability on public
domain on a dynamic basis, it is expected to keep every stakeholder alert to
the achievement of sustainable development goals (SDGs) goal number 3.
Among the Larger States, Kerala, Punjab, and Tamil Nadu are on top of terms of overall performance, while Jharkhand, Jammu & Kashmir, and Uttar Pradesh are the top three ranking states in terms of annual incremental performance.
- Among Small States, Mizoram ranked first followed by Manipur on overall performance, while Manipur followed by Goa ranked the top ranked states in terms of annual incremental performance.
- The government has launched a Web based monitoring system and a fly Ash mobile application named ASH TRACK. These platforms will enable better management of the ash produced by thermal power plants by providing an interface between fly ash producers (thermal power plants) and potential ash users such as - road contractors, cement plants etc.
- The ASH TRACK App will be managing 200 million tonnes of fly ash by tracking coal based power plants within 100 km and 300 km from given location and availability of fly ash, along with the same radius within the potential users. The App offers plant-wise, utility-wise and State-wise ash status status in the country.
- The thermal plants will regularly update fly ash generation, utilization and stock on the web portal and the app. This would allow effective monitoring and review. This will also help in protecting environment in terms of reduction in fugitive emissions, saving of precious top soil and conservation of land for sustainable development.
- Fly ash, the end product of combustion during the process of power generation in the coal based thermal power plants, is a proven resource material for many applications of construction industries and currently being used in Portland Cement, bricks / blocks / tiles manufacturing , road construction and low lying area development, etc.
- At present, 63% of the fly ash is used and target is 100% utilization of the fly ash. There is need for education and awareness generation. Road contractors and construction engineers need to know Measures need to be taken from roads as well as roads. Besides, there is a need to prevent the ash from the power plant by washing the coal at its place of origin. The government should also come out with a policy to promote fly ash use in cement plant.
Integrated Automatic Aviation Meteorological Systems
- 'Integrated Automatic Aviation Meteorological System (IAAMS)' was recently inaugurated at INS Garuda. INS Garuda is the fourth air station to have been installed with this integrated system.
- IAAMS is an ambitious project of the Indian Navy to modernise the Meteorological Infrastructure of the Naval Air Stations. The IAAMS project at INS Garuda will give a major fillip to aviation safety through automation of weather monitoring process.
- Equipped with the state of the Meteorological Sensors viz., Radar Vertical Wind Profiler, Transmissometer, Ceilometer and Automatic Weather Observation System, IAAMS undertakes automatic and continuous recording of relevant weather parameters that are accurate weather forecasting for vital.
- It has been a special alarm feature that will alert the duty staff about any unforeseen change of weather parameters. The system can also provide automatic dissemination of routine weather reports of the air station as per World Meteorological Organization (WMO) standards to other air stations and to ATC tower without human intervention.