Daily Current Affairs (English) - 12.04.2018
Submitted by root on Thu, 04/12/2018 - 15:42
→ ISRO launches IRNSS-1I to replace faulty IRNSS-1A
The successful launch of the PSLV-C41 rocket carrying India’s eighth navigation satellite IRNSS-1I from Sriharikota at 4.04am on 12th April brought the smile back on the faces of scientists of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) amid tough time when the space agency is struggling to restore the snapped link with its recently launched communication satellite GSAT-6A.
- The textbook launch of PSLV-C41 took place in four stages and the total time taken for the rocket to put the satellite into the intended orbit was 19 minutes.
- Navigation satellite IRNSS-1I has been launched to replace India’s first navigation satellite IRNSS-1A, whose three Europe imported Rubidium atomic clocks had stopped working two years ago.
- IRNSS-1I weighing 1,425kg and with a lifespan of 10 years has become the eighth satellite to join the constellation of navigation satellites called NavIC (Navigation with Indian Constellation) or popularly known as IRNSS or ‘desi’ GPS.
→ PM to inaugurate DefExpo 2018
- The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will visit Tamilnadu on April 12. He will inaugurate the 10th edition of Defence Expo, DefExpo-2018 in Chennai at Thiruvidanthai, in Kancheepuram district.
- The tagline of DefExpo this year is ‘India: The Emerging Defence Manufacturing Hub” to showcase India’s capability in the export of defence systems and components.
- More than 670 exhibitors including over 150 international exhibitors will take part in the DefExpo. MSME sector will have a fair representation this time around 15%.
→ National Company Law Appellate Tribunal
Online search giant Google has filed an appeal at the National Company Law Appellate Tribunal against an order from India’s competition watchdog that found it guilty of “search bias” and abuse of its dominant position. In February, the Competition Commission of India imposed a 1.36 billion rupees ($20.95 million) fine on Google, saying it was abusing its dominance in online web search and online search advertising markets, in the latest regulatory setback for the world’s most popular internet search engine.
- National Company Law Appellate Tribunal (NCLAT) was constituted under Section 410 of the Companies Act, 2013 for hearing appeals against the orders of National Company Law Tribunal(s) (NCLT), with effect from 1st June, 2016.
- NCLAT is also the Appellate Tribunal for hearing appeals against the orders passed by NCLT(s) under Section 61 of the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 (IBC).
- NCLAT is also the Appellate Tribunal for hearing appeals against the orders passed by Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India under Section 202 and Section 211 of IBC.
- NCLAT is also the Appellate Tribunal to hear and dispose of appeals against any direction issued or decision made or order passed by the Competition Commission of India (CCI).
→ Asian Development Bank: India to grow at 7.3% in 2018-19
India’s economic growth is expected to rise to 7.3% in 2018-19 and further to 7.6% in the next financial year, the highest among Asian economies, on the back of goods and services tax (GST) and banking reforms, according to the Asian Development Bank (ADB).
- The Indian economy grew 6.6% in the last fiscal due to lingering effects of demonetization in 2016, businesses adjusting to goods and services tax (GST) in 2017, and a subdued agriculture. The country’s economic growth was 7.1% in 2016-17.
- With 7.3% growth projected for this fiscal, India would be reversing the two-year declining trend. “Despite the short-term costs, the benefits of reform such as the recently implemented GST will propel India’s future growth,” ADB Chief Economist Yasuyuki Sawada said.
France: First 3D-Printed Home
Researchers have unveiled what they billed as the world’s first 3D printed house to serve as a home in the French city of Nantes, with the first tenants due to move in by June.
- Academics at the University of Nantes who led the project said it was the first house built in situ for human habitation using a robot 3Dprinter.
- The robot, known as BatiPrint3D, uses a special polymer material that should keep the building insulated effectively for a century.
- It took BatiPrint3D around 18 days to complete its part of the work on the house — creating hollow walls that were subsequently filled with concrete for insulation.
→ Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana (PKVY)
According to the revised guidelines, farmers practising traditional methods of organic farming like yogik farming, gou mata kheti, Vedic farming, Vaishnav kheti, Ahinsa farming, Adhvoot Shivanand farming, and rishi krishi will be eligible for financial assistance, in addition to those adopting standard organic farming practices like zero-budget natural farming and permaculture.
- Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana is an elaborated component of Soil Health Management (SHM) of major project National Mission of Sustainable Agriculture (NMSA).
- Under PKVY Organic farming is promoted through the adoption of the organic village by cluster approach and PGS certification.
- Fifty or more farmers will form a cluster having 50-acre land to take up the organic farming under the scheme.
- The produce will be pesticide residue free and will contribute to improving the health of the consumer.
→ IPS officer Rajesh Ranjan appointed DG CISF
- Bihar-cadre IPS officer Rajesh Ranjan took over as the new Director General (DG) of the CISF, which guards a majority of the country’s civil airports and other vital installations.
- An official release said Ranjan, who was till now a Special DG in the Border Security Force, will hold the post till November 2020.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) had yesterday issued an order appointing the 1984-batch officer to the post that had been lying vacant for over two months after O P Singh was appointed the DGP of Uttar Pradesh.
STUDY MATERIAL & TEST SERIES FOR SSC CGL 2018
PLEASE NOTE: Check Your Email After Subscribing and Click on Activation Link to Confirm Subscription.