Daily Current Affairs (English) - 29.07.2018
Submitted by root on Tue, 07/31/2018 - 21:04
JUSTICE SRIKRISHNA COMMITTEE SUBMITS THE REPORT ON DATA PROTECTION
The Justice BN Srikrishna committee submitted its report on the data protection law on Friday. The report was keenly awaited by all for its implications on data handling and processing practices by both Indian as well as foreign companies along with government departments. Justice Srikrishna handed over the report to union minister for electronics and IT, law and justice, Ravi Shankar Prasad.
Major highlights of the report
- The law will have jurisdiction over the processing of personal data if such data has been used, shared, disclosed, collected or otherwise processed in India.
- Additionally, personal data collected, used, shared, disclosed or otherwise processed by companies incorporated under Indian law will be covered, irrespective of where it is actually processed in India. However, the data protection law may empower the Central Government to exempt such companies which only process the personal data of foreign nationals not present in India.
- The law will cover processing of personal data by both public and private entities.
- Sensitive personal data will include passwords, financial data, health data, official identifier, sex life, sexual orientation, biometric and genetic data, and data that reveals transgender status, intersex status, caste, tribe, religious or political beliefs or affiliations of an individual.
- However, the DPA will be given the residuary power to notify further categories in accordance with the criteria set by law.
- The law will not have retrospective application and it will come into force in a structured and phased manner. The Aadhaar Act needs to be amended to bolster data protection.
- The data protection law will set up a DPA which will be an independent regulatory body responsible for the enforcement and effective implementation of the law.
- The Central Government shall establish an appellate tribunal or grant powers to an existing appellate tribunal to hear and dispose of any appeal against an order of the DPA.
Do you Know?
- UIDAI is a statutory authority established under the provisions of the Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016 (“Aadhaar Act 2016”) on 12 July 2016 by the Government of India, under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- The UIDAI or is the nodal agency that manages the Aadhaar biometric identification system.
- The first UID number was issued on 29 September 2010 to a resident of Nandurbar, Maharashtra.
INTERNATIONAL TIGER DAY: 29 JULY
International Tiger Day, also known as Global Tiger Day, is celebrated annually on July 29 every year to raise awareness for tiger conservation. It was created in 2010 at the Saint Petersburg Tiger Summit in Russia with the goal to bring worldwide attention to the dwindling numbers of tigers and their plight. This is the eighth annual International Tiger Day. The primary goal behind International Tiger Day is to promote a global environment to protect the natural habitats of tigers and support for issues pertaining to conservation of tigers.
JEHAN DARUVALA CLAIMS POLE TO FLAG WIN IN FORMULA 3
India's Jehan Daruvala took his maiden victory in the 2018 FIA Formula 3 European Championship at the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps. The Sahara driver started the race on pole, but a slow start pushed him to P3 on the opening lap. However, the driver made a stellar recovery in the remainder of Race 1 for the weekend, taking the second win of his career.
Having taken the pole by a 0.010s margin, a sluggish start from Daruvala dropped him down to third behind points leader Marcus Armstrong who took the lead, while Alex Palou followed soon taking P2. Daruvala, who drives for Carlin Racing held on to P3 looking for that advantage to re-take the lead.
STUDY MATERIAL & TEST SERIES FOR SSC CGL 2018
PLEASE NOTE: Check Your Email After Subscribing and Click on Activation Link to Confirm Subscription.